Thursday, June 2, 2011

Minds in the Making

Last week I had the incredible opportunity to sit down and talk with the Co-Directors of the Institute for Learning and Brain Sciences at the University of Washington, Patricia Kuhl and Andrew Meltzoff. It was a very intimate setting-- me, a good friend of mine Alexandra, her mother Maria Eitel, some family members, and Pat and Andrew.

Though I frequently belittle my math skills, no one ever believes me (and rightfully so--I'm indeed very good at math). Less frequently do I belittle my science skills. In truth, I am pathetic at science. Looking back at high school general chemistry class makes the hairs of my arms rise. The thought of taking another physics exam sends a chill down my spine. The other week, my good friend Megan had to explain to me what a proton was.

I know. I wish I were joking too.

Why do I suck at science? Do I suck at science, or is that just something someone told me and I for whatever reason believed them? Like most Georgetown students, I got straight-As in high school, which included all my science classes. I was at the top of my biology class in the 9th grade. My sister wants to get her PhD in biology. We share the same genes, right?

Pat and Andrew may argue that society has stunted my belief in my ability to succeed in this area. In the United States, math and science are "boy" subjects, whereas reading and the arts are "girl" subjects. Girls on average consistently score lower than boys in science and math.

In Singapore, girls and boys score, on average, the same. In fact, girls score a bit better than boys.
Huh. Interrressting.

Pat and Andrew believe that little boys and girls are taught through social media their place in the classroom. Pictures of girls reading outside as the sun shines a golden halo onto her hair. Pictures of little boys with huge safety goggles and bubbling test tubes. Who's at the front of the classroom doing math problems? The boy. Who has a paintbrush in hand and a smear of pink on her cheek? The girl.

If at 5 years old she is taught that she's not good at math and science, and she takes this belief with her into middle and high school, why, as an 18 year old, would she choose to devote the rest of her academic career--and the rest of her career, period--to these subjects?

Economically, this is absolutely disastrous for girls, especially in a world where high-paying jobs are becoming more and more high-tech-centered.

The solution? Change it up! If girls in Singapore are succeeding at levels equal to boys in math and science, there is absolutely no reason for why girls in the US shouldn't also. Pat and Andrew have done a ton of research on this subject, and they're working closely with policymakers to understand the policy implications of their findings.


Sitting in the room with Patricia was extremely eye-opening, but admittedly it made me uncomfortable. Her research is incredible, and something I would've absolutley loved to be a part of. BUT, I thought to myself as I said my thank yous and left, I know nothing about science, I'm crap at it, I haven't taken biology since the 9th grade, what could I possibly contribute?



Huh. I guess I didn't learn anything, after all.

1 comment:

  1. There's actually a lot of studies done around this, re: not only the school setting but also toys & how they affect early career ambitions (ex boys:doctor as girls:nurse).

    And contributing to a cause is never limited to helping out with research! Knowledge sharing is great too -- and you had knowledge shared with you :)!

    ReplyDelete